MBF lamp wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
elgebe
Labourer
Labourer

MBF lamp wiring

Post by elgebe » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:13 pm

Making a Moth Light-trap! Have an MBF lamp, ceramic lamp holder, ballast and starter. So far so good! But how do I wire them together???

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:42 pm

I have had problems with this in the past where I tried to convert a Son lamp to metal halide and found to my cost there were extra components. In general the power factor correction cap is connected across supply and lamp and choke are in series with each other as with normal florescent but some makes also have a starting device across the bulb and others don't. I think you need to get info from makers web site. Also they do generate some nasty voltages and there could well be a safety issue if working close. Light blue touch paper and retire to safe distance job. I found even so called equivalent bulbs did not interchange and not really a mix and match job. I hope someone else can give you more help but they are not that common and you may have problems.
Eric

elgebe
Labourer
Labourer

Post by elgebe » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:16 am

Thanks ericmark, I'll take your advice, but also check my life insurance is up-to-date!!!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:23 am