mcb on a spur
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
simbad
Apprentice
Apprentice

mcb on a spur

by simbad » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:22 am

hi, i have a small room which i would like to use as a small work-shop nothing to heavy use wise, drilling etc.

in this room i have one socket. is it possible to remove this socket replace with a mcb then connect 2x double sockets and 1x single socket from the mcb?

hope i made some sence

thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Hi simbad,
If it's a room already contained within your property and if only small power tools being run of 13amp plugs, I'd put a Switched fused connection unit in it rather than an MCB. You can then run a string of socket outlets from that point.
Remember that when adding to existing circuits you will need a minor works certificate to prove this circuit complies to BS7671.
KB

simbad
Apprentice
Apprentice

by simbad » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:08 pm

[quote="kbrownie"]Hi simbad,
If it's a room already contained within your property and if only small power tools being run of 13amp plugs, I'd put a Switched fused connection unit in it rather than an MCB. You can then run a string of socket outlets from that point.
Remember that when adding to existing circuits you will need a minor works certificate to prove this circuit complies to BS7671.
KB[/quote]

Thanks for the reply KB, i will do it as you say as the room is within my property.

thanks again

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:21 pm