Megaflo help
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
da
Labourer
Labourer

Megaflo help

by da » Mon May 31, 2010 7:07 am

Hi, I live in a flat 3 bed 2 bath 1 kitchen on the 5th flr. The building supplies hot water only. I need to change my boiler as it's old. I have been suggested a megaflo for good hot water supply. questions I have is:
what is a megaflo.
Can it heat radiators also or is it just for hot tap water.
do I need a boiler attached to a megaflo or is it a self sufficient gadget on its own.
Do I have to inform the council hat I have one.

Please bear with my basic questions as I have no clue Thanks

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:38 pm

A Megaflow system is a thermal store of hot water usually heated by electricity.

There are several versions, but it is common to see a version with two heat exchangers. One instantly heats incoming cold water for domestic hot water, whist the second is used to supply a radiator circuit.

Heat stores are often found in blocks of flats as they are cheap to install as no gas is required and the installer can be less qualified.

As a personal opinion, I have found they are expensive to run, unreliable and do not have a terrific lifespan. You will also find that because they are very complicated, it can be difficult to find an engineer who has sufficient knowledge to repair them when they play up.

da
Labourer
Labourer

Megaflo help

by da » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:01 am

thanks very much.

eggers
Ganger
Ganger

by eggers » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:33 pm

i think you may be referring the the megaflo unvented cylinder, not the baxi megaflow system boiler

the megaflow unvented cylinder is very good, provides hot water at mains pressure and easy to service, they are however very expensive to buy and install. Will not provide any heat to the heating side and usually connected to the boiler same as a normal hot water cylinder.

forgive me if i am wrong but i don't know about any megaflow thermal store models, but they probably do exist

the baxi megaflow system boiler is just.... not that amazing to put it politely

Hughie1961
Labourer
Labourer

Megaflow hot water tank

by Hughie1961 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:16 pm

I have electric central heating and a Megaflow tank, I am about to change my central heating to oil (we have no gas) and I have been told that I have to have a different Magaflow tank - is this correct?

eggers
Ganger
Ganger

by eggers » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:02 pm

well the megaflow tank which you have probably doesn't have the flow and returns required to connect it to the boiler, you probably don't HAVE to change it, but it would mean the boiler could only work the heating, and you would still need to use the immersion heaters. It would effectively mean that installing the boiler just for the heating would be expensive and largely impractical. You as you have no doubt guessed, if you wish to use the boiler to heat the hot water, the megaflow would have to be changed

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1