Messy use of Mortar Inside Cavity Wall During Extension Build
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
reginalddean
Labourer
Labourer

Messy use of Mortar Inside Cavity Wall During Extension Build

Post by reginalddean » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:32 pm

Hi

We are having an extension built, brick exterior with blockwork inside with cavity filled with celotex.

Can I ask if its normal for the bricklayer to leave the inside of the exterior walls mortar messy? The mortar on the inside doesn't seem to even fill all the gaps between bricks, not smoothed off?

The exterior looks tidy but the back looks dreadful with lots of gaps, is this ok or do we need to be worried? No mortar is bridging the cavity, just seems to be lots of gaps between the bricks?

I have taken 3 photos of the same section of wall, back, window edge and front.

Thanks in advance
front1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Messy use of Mortar Inside Cavity Wall During Extension Build

Post by collectors » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:12 am

The brickwork will always be a bit rough looking in a cavity & not the same as the outside.
But its unusual to build the outside wall 1st. You usually build the block wall to two insulation bats wide, fit the celotex then start on the outside wall, the repeat on inside again till roof level.
But the pictures may not be showing the situation fully.

reginalddean
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Messy use of Mortar Inside Cavity Wall During Extension Build

Post by reginalddean » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:55 am

Thanks for the quick response, he did build it as you said, block work first then outside, I guess that makes sense why it is rougher on the inside!

We were just worried about the gaps inbetween the bricks on the inside, I thought the mortar would need to be all around to create a full seal?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:02 am