Metal Behind Plasterboard when Trying to Hang Coat Rack in Hallway Cupboard
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
blackadder
Labourer
Labourer

Metal Behind Plasterboard when Trying to Hang Coat Rack in Hallway Cupboard

Post by blackadder » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to put up a coat rack in a cupboard in a hallway. The wall adjoins a staircase. House was built 2008, Persimmon, plasterboard everywhere. I've put shelves up elsewhere with no fuss and plasterboard anchors. Here, though, I get a hole through the plasterboard and hit what with a torch looks like steel. I've drilled four holes in various places so don't believe I'm hitting a metal frame; it looks like the plasterboard is backed with metal if that makes any sense at all. Does anyone have any ideas what this is, and whether it's practical for me to try to put anything up on this wall?

Thanks

thedoctor

Re: Metal Behind Plasterboard when Trying to Hang Coat Rack in Hallway Cupboard

Post by thedoctor » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:58 pm

Wow, theres a first time for everything! The torch may just be showing the foil vapour barrier on the back of the board and you are hitting a concrete lintol or some really sold blockwork which sounds possible if the wall is a support wall in some way (staircase?)

If this isn't the case we have absolutely no idea what the "metal" could be and suggest you use something like a multi tool to cut out a section of plasternboard to investigate. Once this is cut out and you are satisfied that the material behind the board is solid, you could then glue a timber to it making it easy then to fix your rail. To do this you should use a construction adhesive and the best one available is Everbuilds Stixall.

Here are some links to the items mentioned above.

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-superst ... -volt.html

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-superst ... 300ml.html

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:34 am