Metal or hard material behind wall...
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sweetasfrank
Labourer
Labourer

Metal or hard material behind wall...

Post by Sweetasfrank » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:21 pm

Ok. Newbie, so here goes:

I've been redecorating my room for the past fortnight or so with ease..from wallpaper stripping to repainting and carpet stripping to re-carpeting etc.
As a lady, i'm quite pleased with how effortless i found most of the tasks..

However, i'm now in the process of installing furniture and assembling items such as wardrobes..cabinets etc.

I recently purchased a shelving-unit from Ikea that needed self assembly, which i managed to do without problems.

The plan was to mount the unit on my wall horizontally. To cut a long story short, i can't drill through the wall to mount it..

-This is the only wall free to mount it.
-The unit is more on the weighty side..27.7kg..more when i fill it up!
-The wall i think is made of plasterboard. Basically i can drill through it (say about an inch)..the material is soft, crumbly and off-white in colour, but then the drill bit hits something that i can only describe as metal...or a material just as hard..I ended up knackering a few drill bits...purchased new bits (about 2inches long) that were suited for metal work..Still no go. I switched the setting on the drill from 'drill' to 'hammer'..still no luck...
This problem runs right across the wall, though i managed to find a few safe spots that let me drill right through..
It's all very frustrating...
I was quite content in thinking i wouldn't have to pay to get a builder in, but is that the only option left?

Can someone please help? Would be eternally grateful!
Last edited by Sweetasfrank on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:54 pm

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:44 am

hi
most probally concrete block work or stone behind plaster/plasterboard.
Need masonary bit for drill, use hammer action on a low speed.
Regards
KB

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:01 pm