Metal studs/ceiling tracking
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kevalino
Labourer
Labourer

Metal studs/ceiling tracking

Post by kevalino » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:26 pm

I am about to fit out a newly built apartment in Greece. They now supply the metal tracking that can be used for the partition walls, here in Greece and I am going to use this system for the interior walls and to put up a lowered ceiling.

Has anyone used this system before and if so, could you point me to some diagrams or general help on this subject.

Thank you

Snidger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Snidger » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:54 pm

To construct a partition wall:
1/ Fix deep track to the ceiling soffit (drill and knock in raw plugs) with a strip of plaster board screwed onto the top of the track.
2/ Place a metal stud (with mastic applied to the rear of the stud)that has been cut 25mm too short into the top track and level it down the wall to determine the position of the bottom track (shallow track) then drill the stud to the wall.
3/ Drill the bottom track with mastic applied again to the floor, leveled with a stud at either end of the wall.
4/ slot the studs into the top and bottom track at 600mm or 400mm centre's (400mm centres for stregnth) fix the studs at the bottom with pan head screws. Do not screw the studs at the top into the track because you have left 25mm short studs and platerboard screwed to the top track to form a "deflection head detail" (this stops the plasterboard cracking in case of any structural movement/ settlement
5/ Screw the boards to the frame at 300mm centres making sure to cut the boards 30mm short at the top and sink all the screws, but not breaking the paper.
6/ Fit appropriate insulation (rockwool) between the studs and then board the opposite side of the wall. (don't forget to install any wires or pipes before boarding)!
7/ If you can butter bread you can plaster, believe you me you learn quickly ;)

hope this helps

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:21 am