Micro-Switch Operated Mains Lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
GrumpyMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

Micro-Switch Operated Mains Lights

by GrumpyMike » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:19 pm

Hi,

Do UK building regulations allow for micro-switch operated mains lights?

Both my under-stairs cupboard and airing cupboard have mains operated lights controlled by a microswitch on the door-jam. When the door opens the light comes on, when the door closes the light goes off.

Is this allowable under UK building regs? The wiring seems to have been done to a safe and sensible standard (all wiring safely enclosed, all components correctly rated) my only concerns are 1) is this legal and 2) if 'yes' are there any particular regulations that apply?

I've got very used to this arrangement and it's actually very convenient, my only minor concern is that there's no isolation switch, but maybe none is required?

Thanks

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Micro-Switch Operated Mains Lights

by Mr White » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:20 pm

How your lights are controlled has nothing to do with building regs.

I will guess you are getting confused with Part P (Which is a building reg) But that is to do with installation of new circuits.

GrumpyMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

by GrumpyMike » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:41 pm

Thanks for the response Mr White, but can you please clarify?

I think you're saying there's no problem with having a micro-switch controlled light?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:25 pm

At the risk of being repetitive, building regulations are not concerned with how an existing light in your cupboard is switched on or off, so yes a suitable micro switch will be acceptable.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:55 pm