Microwave / Combi connection
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gavona
Labourer
Labourer

Microwave / Combi connection

by Gavona » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:09 pm

Electrician has left me with all the wiring for my new kitchen. I am looking to install (kitchen units and) appliances before calling him or building control to certify the final connection (I assume this is required). I am slightly unsure about a few of points:

* do I really need an approved person to certify that I have connected the oven correctly to the cable sparky has provided?

* Does the approval requirement apply to all fixed wiring or just the oven? I only ask because I would rather fully fit the hob and microwave/combi rather than leaving them 'loose so the wiring is accessible for inspection.

* microwave/combi requires 3400W. It has flex terminated with crimped ends. I need to connect to the cable that Electrician has left (comes from a suitable fused spur that he installed). So I obtained a 30 Amp ring circuit junction box. However this has just three screw down terminals so I would need to connect the [b]flex[/b]to the [b]cable[/b] by clamping them under the same screw. I had an idea that if one connects cable and flex there should be separate screw terminals for each... but maybe that is wrong or is not a problem given the crimped ends on the cable? Bottom line is what connection block do I need to use?

* finally the flex from the microwave is too short to allow the appliance to be removed from cabinet and placed on floor / worktop IF i fix the connection block to the wall. Is it OK to leave it loose?

Thanks for any advice.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:11 pm

Gavona,
it seems your electrician has left you in a right pickle!
Why?
Call him to finish it off for you, as by the sounds of it you have little knowledge of electrical installations and it would be stupid to get so far with a project and not get it installed correctly and safely with certs and schedules to prove the installation is safe and complies to BS7671:2008
KB

Gavona
Labourer
Labourer

by Gavona » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:25 pm

Thanks KB. I don't feel in a pickle at all. Builder did fairly much all he felt able to without the kitchen units in place. All the circuits are in place. I have certification for the installation so far (or rather my builder has it pending building control sign off of the complete extension works (big project, not quite finished).

I indicated in my post that I would get the electrician or building control back to sign off, though I have asked for advice about whether in fact this is a requirement.

Would really appreciate a response to my specific queries.

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:19 am

yes you need an approve person as they certify the entire fixed installation, that includes fixed appliances, ask your spark if he is happy to certify what he can't see. if you tell him exactly what you are doing. he may, but most wouldn't. first port of call should be to talk to him.

3400 watts is too high for a 13A fuse, is this the combined output of the combi and microwave or the highest prouced by an individual mode?

lives connect on one terminal, neutrals on another, earths on another but this is not a very good way to instal this. the lead should go from the FCU to the appliance without joints ideally or ifjoints are unavoidable then there are better ways to do this than a junction box, whcih are difficult to instal in a way that satisfies the regs and IMHO to be avoided at all costs.

no, the connection block (I assumeyou mean choccie blocks) should be in asuitable enclosure which should be fixe to the wall, as should any junction boxes.

If your spark is expected to certify this you really need to discuss your options with him, he is also familliar with the geographic layout of what has been done.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:54 am

Genova,
Any new circuits, in fact anything other than replacing accessories and equipment like for like in the kitchen is deemed to be notifiable work (building controls/part P) or should be done by an electrician that is registered on a domestic installers scheme. I'd recommend a full scope electrician is used, defined scope could be used if they were the person(s) fitting the kitchen. But it sounds like your doing that!
Of course you can do it yourself or just pull someone of the street to do it no law against that! providing it's been notified to BCs. Then they will inspect at first and second fix, at this stage inspection and testing will take place by either the council, a third party or you or the man of the street you dragged in, providing they can do this? This will assure it complies to part p providing it does and if it does they will certify compliance.

So your answer to the question is your builder/electrician won't sign the work off as that is building controls remit as they have been notified to take that responsabillty on, your electrician/builder should have made you aware of this.

All fixed appliances should have Switched FCUs above worktop as a means of isolation, socket outlets, switches, or isolators should be at least 300mm to the side of hobs, sink and drainers.
Your oven should have seperate means of isolation that is within 2 metres of it and on it's own circuit unless on 13Amp plug. New circuits require RCD protection, any accessories used to join terminations of circuit cables must be easily accessible, i'd recommned you replaced flex on Microwave for longer one so it is connected straight to FCU with no Junc Box, if this is a fitted appliance isolation is needed.
Have I answered your question?
May have missed a few other pointers, which I have no doubt someone else will inform the both of us about.
Thinking of your safety mate, your friends and familys safety, your property's safety and any pets you may have!
KB

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:39 am