mid-position valve not working
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tiermacgirl
Labourer
Labourer

mid-position valve not working

Post by tiermacgirl » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:14 am

I hope someone can help. Not had a hot shower since this started.

Away for a week when it was v v cold but to prevent freeze-related leaks the system auto switches on when the tank goes below a certain temperature so thought would be fine when I got back.

Rads work fine but if I switch on hot water the valve won't go to mid position as it should. If I switch off power to boiler it goes to hotwater only position, but I need a way to get it to do that with boiler operating! The manual control seems to have a mind of its own too, I am not convinced it works at all.

On top of that the auto protection is keeping the central heating going permanently at the moment so I can't test what happens from cold because it can't get cold!

Experts out there? or even someone that has fixed this before? Please!

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:33 pm

Find the frost stat and turn it down as low as it will go. This stat is overriding all other controls and forcing the 3PV full on to heating only.

If the boiler is fitted in an unheated area, then the frost stat will stay on until the weather improves.

Lag exposed heating pipes, move the stat as close as poss to the boiler so the residual heat will switch it off, and turn it down to zero.

tiermacgirl
Labourer
Labourer

Post by tiermacgirl » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:15 pm

thanks: I started thinking that if i could get the thing to cool down it might work. Turned off electricity completely for a while, that worked! I did have to be patient though.

There's a lot to fix with my heating anyway so I am getting someone round soon to advise how to improve the system.

Most grateful and decidedly less odorous now.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Steve the gas » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:19 am

Also lock the slider on the MV to manual position, to see if MV at fault.

tiermacgirl
Labourer
Labourer

Post by tiermacgirl » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:13 am

Thanks Steve the guy coming round today will check the valve assembly to see if there isn't something wrong with it anyway.

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:26 pm

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:24 pm