Minimising condensation buildup in lean to
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
makingalife
Apprentice
Apprentice

Minimising condensation buildup in lean to

by makingalife » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:44 am

Hi all,

We have just finished a rear extension. As part of that we created a small polycarbonate area (9m^2). The roof is 10mm polycarbonate sheets.

On three sides are insulated walls and the front is plywood frame and a front door type door. Then there is fence panel and fence gate Infront of it (looks better and keeping neighbours happy).
(No door on the house brick wall) - see picture attached.

lean to.png

I'm noticing that the sheets are literally dripping water because of condensation. My builder has said this will be the case this year and next year it will be less as the walls and concrete floor are all wet. I am told there will always be condensation... varying amounts by different people.

Some of the plywood is also showing signs of mould, between one of the insulated walls and my extension there is a 50cm gap (see picture) which also has a plywood frame.

So my question is..

1. How do I minimise condensation in this area as I wanted to make this into a storage area and useable throughout the year and store home grown produce....
2. Is it a good idea to paint all the plywood and wood inside to protect it?
3. We have a consumer unit (powers the extension)/light /socket in this area, should I be concerned?
4. any other tips or advice?

actual picture.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Minimising condensation buildup in lean to

by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:23 pm

Hi makingalife
You do not appear to have any means of natural ventilation - if you can leave a door ajar this will help with the drying. If this is not possible a de-humidifier is probably your best alternative.
Regards S

makingalife
Apprentice
Apprentice

by makingalife » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:24 am

Thanks, I have 2 small vents but I think I need to add more vents on the side to get more fresh air in.

Will condensation always be a problem?

Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:15 pm

Hi makingalife
It is very likely that condensation will always be there in varying degrees. It looks like neither of the house walls have flashing cut into the brickwork and you do not say whether a DPM is present in the floor.
Suggest you plan for a damp storage area.
Regards S

makingalife
Apprentice
Apprentice

by makingalife » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:31 pm

stoneyboy wrote:Hi makingalife
It is very likely that condensation will always be there in varying degrees. It looks like neither of the house walls have flashing cut into the brickwork and you do not say whether a DPM is present in the floor.
Suggest you plan for a damp storage area.
Regards S

Thanks, appreciate your responses.

No DPM, just concrete floor and no flashing into brickwork.

Just basic flashing stuck on....

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:22 am