DIY Doctor

Minor Works Certificate for changing ceiling lights

Postby djrobs » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:48 am


I'm hoping someone can help me here.

I am moving house and the people I'm buying off have decided to remove the ceiling lights downstairs and upstairs and replace them with standard cable/bulb fitting.

I have been advised by a friend who is a builder has advised me that they should obtain minor electrical works certificates from a qualified electrician for each electrical circuit that they are replacing lights on. This is to ensure that they comply with electrical regs and are replaced correctly, without any adverse effect to the circuit. If they are replacing lights upstairs and downstairs, this will involve at least two circuits and if more than two circuits are involved, a full electrical installation certificate will be required. He has advised if this is not obtained and a fire results from the replaced light, this could affect my insurance.

From what I've read this appears true. However, the solicitor I am employing does not beleive this and claims to have spoken with the Counicl (Reading Borough) Building Control Dept, which has confirmed this.

However, Westminster Council Website seems to support my friend's opinion.

Can anyone confirm and provide an evidence? A point to some other websites would be helpful.

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:42 am


Simply Build It

Postby sparx » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:28 pm

very interesting point, you don't need MWcert to change a fitting if not altering wiring,but your insurence co. may not be happy ASK ONE who you might use.
Also try contacting NAPIT,ECA NICEIC, they all have help lines
eg NAPIT tel 08704441392
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.

Postby djrobs » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:27 am

I checked with the technical guy at out council building control dept and got this response:

From what you have described you do not require to submit a Building
Regulations application for the works and you won't need a minor electrical works certificate. As such are only a replacement. If
you were to undertake a whole house rewire than an application would be
required, as would adding additional circuits to kitchens/bathrooms etc.

For peace of mind you may wish to employ an electrician to carry out a
Periodic Report, to show adequacy of the electrical installations.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:42 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics