Mira Miniduo shower mixer.
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jemball
Tradesman
Tradesman

Mira Miniduo shower mixer.

by jemball » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:04 pm

Our Miniduo shower mixer makes a 'whining' noise at about 50% flow level setting. This noise then stops when the lever is moved towards full flow.Also it does not allow any flow from 0-25% flow level setting.

I asked Mira about it and they replied: 'The Mira Miniduo has an on / off control rather than a flow control, and is designed to be used with the flow knob fully open. If the flow knob is opened only partially it will result in the high-pitch noise you have reported.'

Sounds like a cop-out to me as even our £20 taps can control the flow from zero to full flow, without sound effects! Also, I can't see the point of having a lever which rotates through 90 degrees but isn't designed to control flow?

Does anyone have the same shower which works properly, or are Mira correct?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Mira Miniduo shower mixer.

by plumbbob » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:47 pm

jemball wrote:Does anyone have the same shower which works properly, or are Mira correct?

I can't actually answer if Mira are correct, but what I can say is the Miniduo is a favourite model that I recommend to customers often because of it's small and compact design.

Now given that I have sold and fitted a few of these valves, I would have thought if they made a terrible noise when operated, I would of heard about it (sorry!).

I take the point it is unusual to use the shower only partially on, but then neither would I expect it to make a racket either. Makes me wonder if it has been set up properly during installation. Has it always been like this or is this a new phenomenon?

jemball
Tradesman
Tradesman

by jemball » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:37 am

Thanks for your interest Plumbob. It's made this noise since it was fitted. The fitting looks like a simple H&C supply.

Regards Jemball

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:33 am

We have a mini duo which does a similar thing, although not all the time.

When our hot water has been idle for a while it runs at high pressure for a few seconds (A phenomenom no one has been able to fully explain). If this pressure isn't released through the bath taps prior to turning on the shower then it gives a dreadful whine and/or horrendous water hammer when not on full power.

If we release the pressure before using the shower then micro adjustments of the flow lever stop any whining and allow us to operate the shower on less than full flow.

We bought the eco model and although the shower head is noisy and has since been replaced we do use a flow regulator in the outlet pipe which helped reduce the noise.

Hope this helps a little, let me know if you need more info.

jemball
Tradesman
Tradesman

by jemball » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:51 pm

Hi acsimpson,

We don't get the same pressure build-up problem but I have noticed that when we first turn on the shower (ie.the first 1/4 position) there is a short burst of water for a few seconds, then no flow. We then have to go to 1/2 position to get a flow again, but turning it any more gives the whine. We then have to keep on turning to stop the whine.

Our whine also reduced after fitting a flow regulator. So I wonder if there may be a design or manufacture problem with this batch of mini duos?

Anyway, I plan to contact Mira again and ask for an engineer to come and check our shower.

Thanks for your interest.

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:59 pm

We purchased out's about 18 months ago so unlikely to be the same batch.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on. When I tried Mira said they would send an engineer out but if they didn't think it was faulty I would have to pay. I decided that the problem wasn't great enough to take the risk.

jemball
Tradesman
Tradesman

by jemball » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:02 pm

Thanks for your continued interest. Our shower is about 4 months old but was only installed recently.

I will now try Plumbworld first, as they sold me the shower. I certainly wouldn't risk having to pay for an engineer's time, especially as they are all probably primed to deny any faults? It would be cheaper to buy a new shower!

Incidentally, a heating engineer who was servicing our boiler today said that the whining noise was almost certainly due to a faulty part.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:25 pm

jemball wrote:I will now try Plumbworld first, as they sold me the shower.

I doubt if the installer will be able or willing to do anything with the shower. Once it is installed, it is not their responsibility. This is not ducking the issue, but they will neither have the parts or the expertise to fix the fault and if they interfere with it they themselves could be invalidating the guarantee. If it is faulty, then Mira will want to see it in situ and they will replace it FOC.

jemball wrote:I certainly wouldn't risk having to pay for an engineer's time, especially as they are all probably primed to deny any faults?

It is unlikely you would have to pay for the engineers time. The shower is making a noise which is not or at least should not be right. I can't see how an engineer could justify making a charge if there is a definite symptom. If it has not been installed correctly then that is a different matter, but then that's not your problem anyway.

I fit showers all the time and occasionally have to arrange engineer visits. I have never seen a chargeable visit. In fact, I would say they are always fair. In my experience, it is certainly not the case that they are "primed" in any way.

I would not necessarily take the advice given by their support department either as they ARE geared to fob off callers. As they can't see the installation, they will always err on the side of caution. To prevent comeback, they will always recommend something in excess of what is required, and they will always try and avoid call outs where possible.

jemball
Tradesman
Tradesman

by jemball » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:59 am

Thanks for the advice plumbbob.

Actually Plumbworld only sold me the shower, they didn't install it. So I guess, under the Sale of Goods Act, I should ask them to sort it out first.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:37 pm

jemball wrote:Actually Plumbworld only sold me the shower, they didn't install it. So I guess, under the Sale of Goods Act, I should ask them to sort it out first.

To be honest, the Sale of Goods Act isn't the best route in this case as Plumbworld will (can) only offer you a replacement or refund of the shower valve which of course would be inconvenient. It would be an entirely different matter if this was about a kettle you had a problem with, but as the shower is installed , it enters a different ball game.

Because installed goods need to be removed to be returned, the responsibility for that cost falls to the manufacturer. This applies to anything that is fitted, from showers to washing machines.

The only exception I have ever come across is with Comet who do any warranty work themselves.

jemball
Tradesman
Tradesman

by jemball » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:10 pm

Thanks for the advice plumbbob.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:38 pm

If you would like to find a reliable, insured and vetted tradesman in your area why not click through to the Find a Tradesman area of DIY Doctor: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/ , complete the form and receive up to 5 FREE quotes

whtan
Labourer
Labourer

by whtan » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:01 pm

Hey Jemball,

Wow I'm experiencing the EXACT same problem.. complete with the initial burst of water that dies down, then the whine about midway through. I have the Mira Discovery BIV.

I don't know whether it's a faulty part, or an issue with the Miras that occurs with certain boiler/pressure situations.

I didn't think about releasing the pressure via the sink taps first.. is this with the cold or hot water?

I called Mira and the rep was friendly but only suggested a flow regulator which just arrived today. I'll try it out to see if it helps but from your experience it looks like it won't fix it.

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:50 pm

Hi whtan, I'm a little late to be replying now but hopefully you'll still get this and it might be of use.

We have to release the pressure using the hot tap. I don't know why this is but I guess the supply pressure varies and is high at quiet times with the non return valve in the hot system stopping it falling again before we are using the hot water.

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:14 pm