DIY Doctor

Missing Earth When Testing Plug Socket in Summer House

Postby Rachel29 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:40 pm

Hello,

I have electric running from my boiler fused box which has a 3amp fuse into my summer house. When I have used a socket tester the plug socket in summer house is saying a missing earth. I have tried all sockets in the house, these are all ok, I have double checked the boiler fused box and socket in summer house and earth is present. What else can be the problem please?
Rachel29
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Mr White » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:21 pm

To clarify.
Your socket tester is saying at one particular socket there is no earth, but on all other sockets there is an earth ?

If this is so then there is no working earth at the socket. It could be a loose connection or a broken wire.

You could switch the mains off and remove the socket and investigate.
Mr White
Progress to next rank:
82.8%

Postby Rachel29 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:05 pm

Yes that's right and I have done all this but everything looks OK. I have now put a earth cable from the socket to a copper pipe and the tester says its ok.
Rachel29
Progress to next rank:
25%

Postby Mr White » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:07 pm

Just because something works does not mean it is safe. What it can not say is, it is dangerous, and potentially lethal.
Mr White
Progress to next rank:
82.8%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!