Mitre saw trips rcbo
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tim Mawer
Labourer
Labourer

Mitre saw trips rcbo

Post by Tim Mawer » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:11 pm

I have a new consumer unit fitted with rcbo's. When i came to use my old mitre saw it caused the rcbo to trip. I was able to exchange the saw for a new one, thinking that it was the fault. Tried the new saw out but it wouldn't work either. Went back to the shop and exchanged this one for a different make to see if that might help. No joy!! Im on my third saw now and it looks like i may have to cut all the timber by hand. Is there anything i can do to prevent the rcbo from triping. Tim.

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

Post by kuzz » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:20 pm

What size is the rcbo? Probably just tripping because the saw needs a surge of power to get it going. (starting current)

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:44 pm

Hi,
If you are using the same sockets each time ie in the garage/shed or using the same extension lead I would suspect a wrong connection.
This may have been wrong for ever as it won't blow fuse/trip mcb but will show up when RCD/RCBO installed, eg reversed N/E in lead.

This is why we are advised to test circuits before changing cons. units or adding an RCD to existing installation.
Usual customer reaction is "it was alright 'till you fitted that thing, now you want to charge extra for fault finding? you're one of those rogue traders".
happy hunting,
Sparx

Tim Mawer
Labourer
Labourer

Mitre saw trips rcbo

Post by Tim Mawer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:11 pm

Hi Sparx.
Thanks for your reply. With regard to the socket/extension lead that i have been using. The rcbo doesn't trip when i use other power tools such as my saw bench.
Tim.

Tim Mawer
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Tim Mawer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:49 pm

The rcbo is 32A.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:23 pm

Hi again, it may be as KUZZ suggests starting current, unfortunately with RCBO's there is no easy way of knowing if tripped by earth leakage or overcurrent, one reason I don't care for them.
It is usual for most RCBO's to be type C however yours may be type B, if so it may be possible if circuit length/impedance allows to have it changed , still 32A but greater inrush current.
The leckie who changed the board must have given you a set of test sheets on which you will find a reading of Zs for the circuit which will tell if chane possible,
regards Sparx

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:14 pm