Mixer tap problem
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
theloony1
Labourer
Labourer

Mixer tap problem

by theloony1 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:10 pm

I originally had single taps and the water seemed to come out fine.

I changed about two years ago to these but never checked what the shower was like.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store ... imageText=

Since then I have had tenants in who have recently moved out and said the only problem was the shower dribbled out.

I was thinking it was just the taps and was going to change to these

[img]http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductLargeImagePopup?storeId=10001&jsparm=true&imageName=108-8320892A67UC332735X.jpg&imageText=[/img]

Will this make any difference???

I no when I bought the first taps it said something about it needing to be 1m away from something???[/url]

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:44 am

I can't see the image you posted, but it is irrelevant as I doubt if any shower that uses the bath taps will work better than the mixer you already have.

The reason is the height of the header tank. For the shower to work satisfactorily, the shower head has to have enough pressure (head). Generally this means the head must be at least 1 metre below the base of the cold water header tank. My guess is your tank is sitting on the joists in the loft or worse, in the airing cupboard??

The only way to solve the problem is to raise the height of the tank, fit a booster pump or (the most common in rental properties) fit an electric shower that uses only the mains cold.

mike1984
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mike1984 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:52 am

If your taps are dribbling then it would be a cartridge issue in which case get onto the manufacturer for a spare part and if possible get some ceramic cartridges as these really stop any leaks or drips and are just a couple of quid.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:56 pm

"If your taps are dribbling then it would be a cartridge issue in which case get onto the manufacturer for a spare part and if possible get some ceramic cartridges as these really stop any leaks or drips and are just a couple of quid."

No Mike its not the tap which is dribbling its the shower because the OP doesn't have enough static head to get a decent flow rate. Plumbob has given the correct answer.

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:55 pm