Mixer Tap
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

sebastian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Mixer Tap

by sebastian » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:03 pm

Further to my previous question and answer received with thanks, I am sure this is not as difficult as I am making it but..

I am trying to remove an old single hole kitchen sink mixer tap in order to replace the sink and taps with new ones.

I have managed to get as far as removing the tap back nut from under the sink, so that the tap fitting above now moves slightly. (Never having done this before) I expected that the tap fitting above would now just pull off the pipes below, but this is not the case.

I have looked for any nuts/fasteners connecting the pipes below the sink which I can uncouple but it appears to me that both the hot and cold copper pipes just run straight up into the tap fitting base. The only thing I can see is that the pipe decreases in size near the top and has been soldered at this point

I am presuming now that I might have to do some pipe cutting and fit some connectors OR I have noticed in the bases of the new tap, that there are screw threads into which the water pipes fit. Is it possible to unscrew the pipes at this point to remove the old tap. It does not look likely to me as there isn't much of a gap to fit a spanner but I don't know much. :oops:

Any Suggestions

It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:54 pm