DIY Doctor

Main navigation

More cooker connection questions.

Postby EddieB1 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:05 pm

Hi first posting here but will probably not be the last

Having a new kitchen fitted soon and changing from gas to all electric cooking, (corgi registered plumber is disconnecting old cooker so I dont need reminding of that) When the property was built about 25 yrs ago it had all the wiring in place for an electric cooker, however it has never been used as such and merely feeds a double 13 amp socket, with a pur to a single one. so that can be easily rectified with a cooker switch/ and single socket, I will however need to put in place a cooker connecter to hard wire the oven.
As the electric hob is an induction type this will probably need to be hard wired as well, So can I hard wire both into the same connecter, or do I put in two connecters, if so can I just connect the two together a few inches apart or do I need a seperate spur coming from the cooker control switch?and, are there any rules and regs I need to be aware of ?
NB, new CU fitted 3 months ago

Lastly I am fitting all the major appliances with seperate fused isolators and putting the 13amp sockets under the worktops, does any one know where I can get the ones that are pre labelled with the appliance to which they isolate , i.e washer, dryer etc?
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:27 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:34 pm

An induction hob will most likely need it's own fused supply using semi-conductor fuses but this information should be provided by the manufacture also it is likely to require quite a high amps.
The oven may only require a fused spur unit but again manufactures information will be required and it could require its own dedicated supply from the consumer unit of around 20A in some cases.
Any good electrical whole sale outlet should be able to supply both named sockets and isolator grid switches as required when not RCD protecting items. Do remember kitchens come under Part P and it can cost more to DIY and register with local council building control then getting a registered electrician.
Also if the wiring was done 25 years ago before 1992 then it would have been to 15th Edition wiring regulations and when you modify wiring all new stuff will need to be to 17th Edition wiring regulations or BS7671:2008 so it is likely that the consumer unit will need changing or at least some RCD protection for all new wiring.
At the moment I am waiting to see what the out come will be with my parents house with a disabled kitchen being fitted as I suspect most of their wiring will be condemned. Normal thing they will not believe my son and I it has to be someone else to say it before they will believe.
All best Eric

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics