More lights in Garage.....
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mdemetri2
Tradesman
Tradesman

More lights in Garage.....

by mdemetri2 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:45 am

Hello Everyone, hope someone can provide a bit guidance.

I currently have a double fluorescent light unit in the garage operated by standard single switch. What I want to do is add some halogen spotlights over some worktop.

I was think that I could continue the curcuit off the fluorescent light to a switch then to the 4 halogens. I guess this would work with the worktop lighting (halogens) working only when the fluorescent light was switched on. IF I wanted to make the halogens independant, would I just take a new wire off the consumer unit?

Thank you very much!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:03 pm

Hi,
I assume the garage is attached to the house? if not you cannot legally DIY any work in there without involving building control.
So in your ATTACHED garage it will depend on how the original light is cabled.
If the supply goes to the light and then down to the switch you can pick up a permanent supply from the light (called 3 plate) connect to new light & switch.
If however the original cables go first to the switch then to the light you must pick up supply at switch. then run as above.
CLICK ON 'Projects' at top of this page, look for electrical- adding a light, all there in full colour drawings.

Or safer still fix the new lights where you want them & get a Qualified, Registered leckie wire it up much safer!!!!

regards Sparx

mdemetri2
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re...

by mdemetri2 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:44 pm

Ok thanks for the reply. In fact the garage is seperate from the house, its a concrete garage. I will do as you say I think, just sort out the lighting and new switch then get someone in to wire up to the box.

Cheers!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:21 pm