more spurs
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
EddieB1280
Labourer
Labourer

more spurs

Post by EddieB1280 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:54 pm

Hi all ,
hope to get something clarified here,

In my utility room I have a single and a double socket, from the single socket there is a fused spur rated at 3amps which has a direct feed to the CH boiler, I am refitting the room and need to spur off the double socket
to another fused spur above worktop level, with a socket below for the dryer, I will also need another similsr arrangement for the WM so, can I take another feed off the single socket or will I need to continue the cable from the first fused spur, :?: secondly the cables for the boiler are only like white appliance cables not the usual 6amp supply cables and these are at the moment in plastic trunking, so while I'm chasing out for the first jobs would it be safe to also put these into the wall as well :?: :?:

Cheers

Eddie

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:33 pm

EddieB1280,
Your circuit additions will have to comply with current regulations and in many cases this means the whole circuit will have to comply. You should have a minor works certificate issued for the work.
If you are OK with this you will need to determine whether the double socket is on a ring main - it may be a spur itself and no further spurs can be added.
end

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

Post by moggy1968 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:56 pm

you can't take a 2nd spur off the single socket direct. the only way to do it would be you spur off to a fused connection unit and then spur from that. Also any cables you bury in the walls must ne RCD protected. your boiler cable is flex and could be chased in, although this is a slightly unconvventional way of doing it and this must also be RCD protected.
As stoneboy says, you need to be certain the sockets you are coming off are not spurs in themselves. you need to check the ratings of your washer and dryer to ensure they won't overload your fused spur.
Andy

EddieB1280
Labourer
Labourer

Post by EddieB1280 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:50 pm

Hi again,
Sorry I should have clarified

The sockets are definatly on the ring main I have traced all the wiring and there are two sets of wires to each socket, alongside the single socket there is a fused spur connecting unit rated at three amp directly feeding the CH boiler, So I take it I need to spur from this to another Fused Spur connecter from which I can install a 13 amp socket under the worktop for one of the appliances, and then do the same from the double socket for the other appliance, I have a an electrician who will certificate everything but unfortunatly he is away for a few weeks and I need to do this work asap As for the RCD protection the CU is only a few months old, would the breakers on this be sufficient or do I need to install something else somewhere ,if so what??

regards Eddie

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:05 pm

Hi eddie, if cu is only 5 month old i'd expect some kind of RCD protection in it already, they now and have for some time come with at least one split of 30ma RCD and as the requirements changed in July 2008 any board fitted after that as long as it was not ongoing work that pre-dates July 1st 2008 should have RCD protection.
You can not feed a 13amp Fused connection unit from a 3amp fused connection unit. Well you can but no point in running anything that wants more than 3amps of current as discrimination down the load has already been offered at 3amps and it can't be highered from that point.
You can take another Fused connection from a socket-outlet on the ring final circuit and spur from that and have more than one spur.
If your appliances are fixed the need to have a switched fuse above the worktop, so you can easily isolate them.
If they are freestanding it is not needed.
As this is in the kitchen part p of building regs must be complied to and a minor works certificate issued for the addition to the circuit.
Hope this helps, be safe when working with electrics and isolate all circuit and prove they are dead before you carry out any work on them.
KB

EddieB1280
Labourer
Labourer

Post by EddieB1280 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:15 am

Hi again all,
many thanks for your replies and apologies for the lateness in replying as I have been away,
I think I am getting there now I will upgrade the 3amp FCU to 13 amp and connect this 2 an unswitched under worktop socket, the from this FCU take a feed to another FCU which will be fused at three amp and feed the boiler from that , does this sound OK ??
If so to join the FCU's which connections do I take this lead from ,the supply or the load,

many thanks in anticipation

Eddie

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:58 pm

Hi Eddie,
You must check that the existing cable after the 3amp FCU which you are changing to 13amp has the current carrying capacity of equal or above 13amps or it will melt and could cause a fire.
KB

EddieB1280
Labourer
Labourer

Post by EddieB1280 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:44 pm

Thanks for all replies it has helped no end.
so now I will take fscu from sockets to feed under worktop appliances via unswitched sockets, good so far, I will then need to obtain a power source for the 3amp sfcu for the boiler controller, the easiest route would apper to be from the loft as it is a bungalow and would only require about 5 feet of surface trunking most of which would be hidden by units, so what is the best bet, direct off a lighting circuit or to extend a ring main, in which case coud someone give me some directions as to what would need to connect to what as far as JB's are concerned :?:
in anticipation

Eddie

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:00 pm