Mounting a heavy ceiling fan on ceiling above bed
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wickerman
Labourer
Labourer

Mounting a heavy ceiling fan on ceiling above bed

by wickerman » Fri May 06, 2016 8:13 pm

Hi everyone...I'm a newbie, so apologies if this seems a stupid question, but I'd really appreciate peoples views on this. My wife has bought a ceiling fan to replace the bedroom light..I was a bit shocked by the weight of it. It weighs 16 pound before I've attached the blades. I'd normally just have a go at this, but its giving me sleepless nights worrying about this...its above the bed, to be exact, above my head, so if it falls off in the night, I'm a dead man. The existing wire is right next to a joist(80x45mm). So, it it sufficient to just attach it to the joist with the 50mm screws supplied? I've attached a few pics that might help. Its an old house, so the joists are decent wood. The makers say its ok, but I'm a worrier. I know you can get fan boxes etc, but are they as good as a joist?
Attachments
IMG_0161.JPG
IMG_0162.JPG
IMG_0163.JPG
IMG_0161.JPG

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Mounting a heavy ceiling fan on ceiling above bed

by welsh brickie » Sat May 07, 2016 4:25 pm

cut a piece of timber, 4x2 will do, lay it in between the joists and fix it with angle brackets, you will then be able to screw through the ceiling to fix the fan

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Mounting a heavy ceiling fan on ceiling above bed

by ericmark » Sun May 08, 2016 1:16 pm

The LD MC11E Maestro Ceiling Master is rated at 5kg as "Safe Working load" not sure I would want something giving start and stop torque hanging on the hook of that device, but looked up the spec to see normal max load.

It states "The slide has a 1/2” BSB female thread to accept a matching tube or threaded hook supplied. A white grommet is supplied when the Maestro is used with a light fitting supported by a flexible cord. Suspension loops can be purchased separately." the fact the light is on a flex will it is hoped stop any damage due to torque reaction.

The Ashley J501 16 Amp Downlighter Junction Box will allow you to join wires in the loft space so a single 4 core cable only to the fan.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:54 am