DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Moved Bathroom and Installed Light fitting

Postby Jamo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:07 pm

I've moved my bathroom upstairs and relocated a light fitting.
Replaced the pendant rose with a junction box and fitted a cable to the new light mounted on the wall above the sink. Everything has been routed through the new stud wall.
I haven't 'buttoned up the stud wall so it can all be inspected, but everything is pretty much on a like for like, except the new cable to the light fitting.
Do I need to inform local building control of the work that has been done? And is it going to cost a fortune?
James - Southampton
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:44 pm


Simply Build It

Postby kbrownie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:25 am

Hi Jamo,
As it is a bathroom you do need to comply with document P of building regulations known as Part P (there is a section in the project pages that explains part p:
So your legal options are to inform building controls or call a registered electrician to complete the work for you. Building Controls recommend that you contact them at least 30 days before work is started or as soon as possible. They will charge you a fee. A minor works or a electrical installation certificate will also need to be issued.
Works out less costly and time consuming to get an electrician.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 1995
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics