Movement in new Double Glazed Panel Replaced only Last Year?
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tjcolley
Labourer
Labourer

Movement in new Double Glazed Panel Replaced only Last Year?

by tjcolley » Mon May 18, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi

We had our windows replaced last year. Recently we've had some work done to the house and one of the workmen noticed the glass in the front downstairs window moving. He said he'd never seen anything like it and it was definitely not right.

We contacted the window company who came out and had a look at it. They said the pane was the maximum size for 4mm toughened glass and if it had been any bigger they would have used 6mm, but that they thought the window was fine. They contacted the manufacturer of the glazing units who agreed to replace the panel. The replacement panel had exactly the same movement but the glass company told the window company that as far as they are concerned the unit is fine and they wont replace again.

I spoke to building regs who said that it doesn't sound right to have movement in a double glazed pane but that they couldn't get involved and to contact trading standards. Trading standards said that I would need to get someone independent to state that the window is not fit for purpose.

Part of me thinks the window/glass companies must be 100% satisfied that it's safe as it would be bad for them if the window did break, but I'm still concerned as this is our kids' playroom and it faces onto the pavement so it could easily have someone fall into it from inside or outside. Our neighbour and 2 houses across the road have the same size front windows and none of those have any movement in the glass.

I have uploaded a video to YouTube, it's hard to see the full extent of the movement but you can see in the reflections hopefully. If anyone could suggest whether this looks like something to be worried about I'd be grateful. Sorry for the long post!

Dimensions of the panek are 1370 x 2000mm

https://youtu.be/cdxbQujTxTU

Thanks

Tom

info@nglassonline
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Movement in new Double Glazed Panel Replaced only Last Year?

by info@nglassonline » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:59 am

That kind of movement is definately not normal, sounds as though they made a measuring error and are refusing to admit that.
We replace DGU's all the time and they are most definately not suppose to have any movement, that being said the integrity of the glass won't have been comprimised by this movement so the worry of having kids running into it is no more dangerous than it would have normally been. At that size I'm assuming it's made from toughened glass which is the safest type when kids are concerned.
Sloppy job by the sounds of it but you and the kids are in no increased danger because of it.
Hope this helps put you at ease.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:43 pm