moving a fuse box ?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
STEVEH
Apprentice
Apprentice

moving a fuse box ?

by STEVEH » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:16 pm

i have EDF comming yo move my meter on wednesday and the sparky i had comming has let me down
i have to move my fuse box across the house how far can it be from the meter ? can it be wired in by myself? are there any laws stopping me doing this ?

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: moving a fuse box ?

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:09 pm

[quote="STEVEH"]i have EDF comming yo move my meter on wednesday and the sparky i had comming has let me down
i have to move my fuse box across the house how far can it be from the meter ? can it be wired in by myself? are there any laws stopping me doing this ?[/quote]

STEVEH
OK. THIS IS WHAT S KNOWN AS NOTIFIABLE WORK AND COMES
UNDER THE GOVERMENTS PART P REGULATIONS WHICH CAME
IN JAN 2005.

YES U COULD ATTEMPT THE WORK YOURSLEF , BUT U WOULD NEED TO NOTIFY LOCAL AUTHORITY BUILDING CONTROL.
THEY WOULD SEND SOMEONE ALONG TO CHECK THE WORK CONFORMED TO THIER BUILDING REGULATIONS.
BUT U WOULD STILL HAVE TO GET THE WORK TESTED AND A ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CERTIFICATE ISSUED.
AN ELECTRICIAN COULD INSPECT AND TEST FOR U BUT HE COULD NOT ISSUE A ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CERTIFICATE BECAUSE HE DID NOT
COMPLETE THE WORK.
WHAT HE WOULD DO IS CARRY A PERIODIC INSPECTION REPORT , AND
ISSUE THIS CERTIFICATE LISTING ANY REMEADIAL WORK REQUIRED.
LOCAL AUTHORITY BUILDING CONTROL WOULD CHARGE ANYTHING FROM £ 150 UPWARDS.
A PERIODIC INSPECTION COULD BE £ 100 . 00 APROX
SO TOTAL OF£ 250 PLUS IF U GOT MAINS BOARD AND FITTED IT.
DEPENDING WHERE U R U MIGHT FIND IT BETTER TO GET A PART P
REGISTERED ELECTRICIAN , WHO IS ON ONE OF SLEF CERTIFICATION
SCHEMES , ECA , NAPPIT , NICEIC , WHO CAN REGISTER THE WORK DIRECT WITH THE LABC AND GIVE THE ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CERTIFICATE TO U DIRECT.
IT COULD BE CHEAPER AS WELL
AS FOR HOW FAR FROM THE METER , A KMF SWITCH IS REQUTRED WHEN MORE THAN 2 METERS AWAY AND THE DISTANCE WOULD DEPEND ON MAXIMUM DEMAND CALCULATIONS TO WORK OUT SIZE OF MAIN
METER TAILS , WHICH WOULD INFLUENCE HOW FAR AWAY BOARD COULD BE. NORMALY 25 MM2 TAILS WOULD B LOOKED AT. A CALCULATION WOULD B DONE TO MEASURE MAX DISTANCE.

BLAKEY1963

davidwm7650
Labourer
Labourer

Consumer Units

by davidwm7650 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:06 pm

How far away from the intake position can the Consumer Unit be positioned?

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Consumer Units

by BLAKEY1963 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:13 pm

[quote="davidwm7650"]How far away from the intake position can the Consumer Unit be positioned?[/quote]

davidwm7650
I am not aware of stated maximum distances , unless
local supply authority state a maximum distance from thier
metering equipment.
a cable calculation would be needed to assess the size of main tails , once the postion of the mains board was relocated.
The sensible approach would be to relocate your mains
board the minimum distance , possible from present
location , if having to relocate.
If more than 2 meters away from intake metering position
a kmf , isolation switch with appropiate main fuse ( depending on size of tails ) would b required.

BLAKEY1963

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:12 pm

Hi David,
Max distance from meter to isolator sw. = 4m, this can be either the consumer unit or if that needs to be further away then fit sw/fuse
60-100A and 'sub-main' to con. unit,
regards SPARX

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:05 pm