Moving a light switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
indichic
Labourer
Labourer

Moving a light switch

Post by indichic » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:48 pm

I'm building a cabin bed in a box room, the top of the bed is going to cover the light switch, can i just cut a hole exactly behind it on the landing and have the switch outside the room, then just plaster over the hole left in the bedroom. Is it as simple as just cutting a square in the plaster, sinking the light switch box, screwing it in place and then putting the switch cover back on, kind of reversing it around?

This is turning out to be a big job, skirting boards off and all sorts, i just need the room to be 3 inches longer..... maybe i'll visit the joinery pages now.....

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:46 pm

Hi, more or less as you say, only prob maybe wires not long enough,
if wall is stud/plasterboard should be ok to swop sides of wall but if solid block then poss. way is to drill through wall from back of sw. to other side, join in extra length of cable using connectors with a blank plate fitted in place of old sw. and fit new box in outside position, good luck with 'quick, just-job' project!!!
SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:56 am