Moving a plug socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jenilew
Labourer
Labourer

Moving a plug socket

Post by jenilew » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:49 am

Hi all,

I am moving a partition wall in a new-build home by approx 1m - the wall currently has a plug socket on it.

When I move the wall the wiring to the socket will now be too short. Is there a way to extend the wiring so that I can keep the socket on the wall that is acceptable for a DIY'er to do...or will touching the wiring at all require someone with PartP? Would the electrics need assessed before trying to sell the property?

As a safety engineer I am familiar with the regulations in terms of keeping the wiring vertical/horizontal behind the plasterboard I just don't know whether the regulations specify a difference between installing a new socket and moving/extending an existing socket.

Many thanks,

Jeni

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:47 pm

There are a number of points:-
1) Part P is only required for bathroom and kitchen in main there is a link in projects well worth a read.
2) Any extension with need to comply with BS7671:2008 which means RCD protection is required.
3) There are many ways to extend the cable I would consider the Hagar maintenance free junction boxes. These have no screws and as a result can be placed inside wall. But there are many more options.
4) At change of occupant a periodic inspection report is required. Normally one would consider the person doing it should hold a C&G 2391 but there is no regulation as to that. It does not come under Part P.
5) As to new and moving it is not the socket but the circuit that matters you can add sockets to an existing circuit but not install a new circuit back to consumer unit.
Some of the Part P regs are daft if I plug in a 4 way socket in my kitchen and leave it on the counter it does not come under Part P but if to keep out of harms way I use some cable clips to tidy up cable and slot socket on a couple of screws out of harms way then it comes under Part P. Think it was done to stop people getting away with Part P by installing loads of sockets and then wiring from them but that’s not how it worded.
Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:43 pm