Moving Door and Lintel Question for Garage Conversion
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

nicholas.booth
Labourer
Labourer

Moving Door and Lintel Question for Garage Conversion

by nicholas.booth » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:06 pm

Hi
We are about to start an attached garage conversion to a habitable room. We are adding a couple of meters to the front of the garage also.
the back door of the house is currently at the rear of the garage and we want to move it to the side of the garage. Where the door is going is currently in the middle of the side effectively under the current garage gable end. This is single brick construction apart from the centre under the gable where it is just doubled up bricks to create strength for the gable.
I would wait to move the door but I need to do it sooner rather than later to allow the blockwork to be built before the roof comes off, essentially allowing the new roof to be fitted almost straight away. When the roof comes off, the double bricked part will be removed in its entirety and a standard cavity lintel used. But what would anyone else do as a temporary measure so I can move the door now? Is there a cheap lintel option to put in until the doubled brickwork is removed?

Thanks in advance

Nick

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:46 pm