Moving sockets
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
snake007uk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Moving sockets

by snake007uk » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:27 pm

Hi,

When moving wall sockets I was going to do the following, however I wasnt sure if this was safe:

Basically I moving two sockets in each room, so I would junction boxes to connect the wallsocket cables, then move the socket where I want and cut the main ring and wire the socket.

I then will do the same on the other socket in the same room, and same again for other sockets I am thinking of moving.

The thing I am worried about is having like 4/6 junction boxes on one ring? so I can extend the cable etc... I dont really want to cut into the wall all over again.

is it safe to have 4/6 junction boxes on a ring to extend the cabling as long as its under 100sq feet and that it still is a ring?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:52 pm

Hi, I presume you're wanting to do away with original sockets so why not cut the wires to each one & join up in 1 JB, adding a single cable from JB to new socket position, then do the same at the next one, as long as at the end you still have 50% of the sockets still on main ring it will comply,I assume you are talking abt. JB's under floors?
regards SPARX

snake007uk
Apprentice
Apprentice

by snake007uk » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:39 pm

The problem is there is not enough slack in the cable so it will probably end up being a junction to continue the ring and the cut the wire where I want to move the socket add additional cable etc...

basically i am positive there will be like at 4 JB per ring minimum if I do it this way I wanted to know the limit?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:24 pm