Mudding Over Lathe and Plaster Walls and Wall Paper
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

smiths1287
Labourer
Labourer

Mudding Over Lathe and Plaster Walls and Wall Paper

by smiths1287 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:05 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post so please be kind!

I've moved into a rental property, the house is from the 1920's, and the walls are not in good condition.

All walls have paper on but there are various sections where the plaster is blown. From a quick inspection the wall paper on one part of the hallway just pushed in and the plaster behind it had collapsed. I cut a small section away, just below the picture rail, which revealed a lathe.

From looking upward into the hole the 1st coats of plaster are completely crumbled in some sections only being held together by the top white coat which seems good in most places, and the paper.

I planned to fill the hole and make that area good with filler, but ideally I don't want to rip the whole wall down and start again or start patch plastering all the weak points if I can avoid it.

Has anyone had a similar experience where they skimmed joint compound over the wallpaper on such walls? Common sense sadly tells me it's a bad idea and I'll need to patch or even plasterboard some bad sections but I just wondered if anyone had had any success with a simpler method.

Thanks in advance

Tom

PS the landlord won't help, if the walls are standing that is enough for them..

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:35 pm