Multi-switch lighting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cuthbert
Labourer
Labourer

Multi-switch lighting

by cuthbert » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:24 pm

This is a two-part query.
My kitchen has 2 ceiling lights and the adjacent utility room has one.
These are controlled by a single switch at the hall end of the kitchen ( which switches on both kitchen ceiling lights) , a double switch at the other end of the kitchen ( one switch for kitchen, the other for the utility) and a single switch at the exit door from the utility room ( which controls only the utility room light).

1. The switches are wired incorrectly as, depending on the configuration of the utility room switch and the kitchen double switch, the kitchen single switch either operates the ceiling lights correctly or it does nothing!
I'd like to correct this but if it is complicated then I guess I'll leave well alone since we've learned to live with it.

2. I'd like to replace the quirky single switch in the kitchen with a dimmer switch. Is it necessary to solve the above problem first or would it be possible to make a replacement , albeit with the same quirkiness as the existing switch.

Advice please.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Multi-switch lighting

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:31 am

[quote="cuthbert"]This is a two-part query.
My kitchen has 2 ceiling lights and the adjacent utility room has one.
These are controlled by a single switch at the hall end of the kitchen ( which switches on both kitchen ceiling lights) , a double switch at the other end of the kitchen ( one switch for kitchen, the other for the utility) and a single switch at the exit door from the utility room ( which controls only the utility room light).

1. The switches are wired incorrectly as, depending on the configuration of the utility room switch and the kitchen double switch, the kitchen single switch either operates the ceiling lights correctly or it does nothing!
I'd like to correct this but if it is complicated then I guess I'll leave well alone since we've learned to live with it.

2. I'd like to replace the quirky single switch in the kitchen with a dimmer switch. Is it necessary to solve the above problem first or would it be possible to make a replacement , albeit with the same quirkiness as the existing switch.

Advice please.[/quote]

CUTHBERT
I FULLY APPRECIATE YOUR SITUATION.
THIS WILL INVOLVE ALTERING CURRENT CONNECTIONS
WHICH , BECAUSE THIS IN A KITCHEN IS A SPEACIAL LOCATION. I WOULD ADVISE U GETTING IN YOUR PART P SPARKY
AS THIS ARRANGEMENT OF SWITCHING IF NOT UNDERSTOOD FULLY
CAN BE DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND IN ORDER TO WORK ON IT.
DIMMERS REQUIRE THE FEEDS TO BE IN THE RIGHT CONNECTION
DEPENDING ON THE PRODUCT INFORMATION SUPPLIED WITH THE
ITEM.

BLAKEY1963

cuthbert
Labourer
Labourer

by cuthbert » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:18 am

Blakey, thanks for the reply.
I have booked an electrician for a couple of weeks time and I'm trying to prepare a list for him. I can't even talk to him until he returns from holiday. What I was seeking to do was to understand the nature of the multi-switch job so that my limited budget is not used up with a non-essential part of the overall change I am making.

Do you think as a Part P electrician he'd be happy to leave "incorrect" wiring in place and simply make the single switch a dimmer ? Or will the "rules" make him force a bigger change on me ? If so I might decide to leave the dimmer out of my list.
Thanks

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:17 pm

[quote="cuthbert"]Blakey, thanks for the reply.
I have booked an electrician for a couple of weeks time and I'm trying to prepare a list for him. I can't even talk to him until he returns from holiday. What I was seeking to do was to understand the nature of the multi-switch job so that my limited budget is not used up with a non-essential part of the overall change I am making.

Do you think as a Part P electrician he'd be happy to leave "incorrect" wiring in place and simply make the single switch a dimmer ? Or will the "rules" make him force a bigger change on me ? If so I might decide to leave the dimmer out of my list.
Thanks[/quote]

CUTHBERT
YOUR PART P SPARKY WILL PUT THE WIRING IN WORKING
ORDER , HOW IT SHOULD OPERATE.
YOUR DIMMER COULD BE OMITTED IF COST IS A CONSIDERATION.
BLAKEY1963

cuthbert
Labourer
Labourer

by cuthbert » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:14 am

OK,Blakey.Thanks.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:13 am

BLAKEY1963......Cant get through to you on your email address, can you contact me when you get a chance please. Use the contact form on the web site.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:05 am

[quote="thedoctor"]BLAKEY1963......Cant get through to you on your email address, can you contact me when you get a chance please. Use the contact form on the web site.[/quote]

THE DOCTOR.
HAVE SENT E MAIL 2 U.

BLAKEY1963

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:52 pm