Must a non earthed fuse box be changed completely?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Melsey72
Labourer
Labourer

Must a non earthed fuse box be changed completely?

by Melsey72 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:20 pm

Hi

Am having kitchen work done, and the people installing the kitchen say my fuse box is not earthed and will need to be replaced. It's exactly the same as 12 other flats in the building.

Is it not possible to earth the existing box without replacing it? Just want to get a gauge on whether he is trying to rip me off. Say's he can't guarantee the work unless the fuse box is changed.

M.

hatchy
Labourer
Labourer

by hatchy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:00 pm

Im an electrical installations student, but thought i'd answer. Old fuse boxes may not have been rated to cope with the electrical load that you may now require, but all kitchen appliances should be earthed, dishwashers, washing machines, cookers etc, A new fuse box will have an RCD (Residual Current Device) to detect current to earth faults, and are designed to protect you from electrocution. Also a Part P registered electrician (which they should be to change the comsumer unit) is legally responsible for the installation.

sparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sparks » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:22 pm

ok first you must have an earth in your fuse box ,but you should also have an rcd .If your DB (fuse board ) is an old type ,fuse wire it should be replaced some of the early fuse boxes have a wooden frame round the base if you have a fault within the board this could catch fire !!! ,if your DB is replaced it should be a modern type withMCB's oh and youll need your water and any other service ie Gas oil earthed as well and also supplimentary bonding where required ,if they replace the DB make sure they are NIC or ECA approve and are registered part p ,they must provide you with an installation certificate and advise building control at the local council ,may be worth contacting a reputable electrical contractor for advise or ask them for a periodic inspection ,this will show any deviations to the regulations and defects within the installation

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:32 am