My god I'm confused !!
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cash-matters
Apprentice
Apprentice

My god I'm confused !!

by cash-matters » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:00 am

I've just bought an old farm cottage (built in 1890). In the main the house is built on stone walls. On these walls are single bricked timber frame. The floors are tiled (look like they have been layed after the build). They are in excellent condition and do not appear to show any obvious signs of damp. However as there is no DPC I'm sure that damp on the floors will be an issue. What hasnt helped is the fact that the guttering has failed meaning one side of the house is very wet. Ive sorted this now.

My problem is that I have not got the time or the money to dig up the floor.

My solution is to put a physical DPM when replacing the old floor resting beams (they were rotton) and then try and use some sort of tanking system on the floor and lower walls. I was then going to batton the walls and insulate and then plasterboard. That way I let most of the walls breathe and sort the floor out at the same time.

Please, any thoughts anyone ?

By the way - Ive had a few damp Co's in and their advice ranges from taking the floor up right up to one who said that there was not a prob on the floor.

Sorry for the longwinded post !!

Morgan3
Labourer
Labourer

by Morgan3 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:07 am

Hi There
I think that you should consider using a reversable system of damp management due to the age of the property I am usuming that perhaps there is some type of preservation order or may be even listed ,if so then look into using a passive membrane system this could be the cure ,unfortunately it doesent come cheap, however it is a way of future proofing your damp problem ,there are a number of companies suppling this type of product, one being Delta (Google "deltamembranes.com")
cheers

cash-matters
Apprentice
Apprentice

by cash-matters » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:39 pm

Morgan3 wrote:Hi There
I think that you should consider using a reversable system of damp management due to the age of the property I am usuming that perhaps there is some type of preservation order or may be even listed ,if so then look into using a passive membrane system this could be the cure ,unfortunately it doesent come cheap, however it is a way of future proofing your damp problem ,there are a number of companies suppling this type of product, one being Delta (Google "deltamembranes.com")
cheers

Thanks - use this and essentially tank the floor and lower walls ?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:05 am