Mystery lock and Thumbturn that Won't Stay in Place?
Post your questions and get answers concerning many areas of this subject

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
glaux
Labourer
Labourer

Mystery lock and Thumbturn that Won't Stay in Place?

by glaux » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:19 pm

My 1960s house never ceases to surprise me, here's the latest thing that is proving hard to replace as clearly it's been out of fashion for a few decades:
the bathroom lock has the handle hole about 6.5cm from the edge of the door (further than the standard locks you find these days at B&Q) and the hole for the thumbturn 2cm from the edge and in line with the handle, rather than below it as in modern models. The lock actually would be ok, handles work fine etc. but the thumbturn has fallen out and will no longer stay in place, I don't actually understand what was keeping it from sliding out as there's nothing on the other side (no "indicator" on the other side of the door). I thought of making a hole on the other side and just fitting a standard thumbturn + indicator combo, but these are usually 5cm in diameter and I only have about 3cm spare before I run into the handles.
Am I making any sense? I'm not a locksmith but this should be an easy DIY project, if only I could source the right lock.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd rathen not have to make new holes, cover the existing ones and so on.
Thanks!
lock.jpg

Emily@LocksOnline
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Mystery lock and Thumbturn that Won't Stay in Place?

by Emily@LocksOnline » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:05 pm

Hey There!

I may be too late but I just wanted to let you know that unfortunately these types of locks have now been discontinued. I am not sure of anywhere were you would be able to pick one up. Latches do not come with a thumbturn option anymore, instead you would have to get a latch with handles and a lock separate.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:39 am