Napit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
shearo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Napit

by shearo » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:08 am

Hi All,
I am applying to NAPIT for registration...has anybody any experience of the type of questions the guy might ask on the site inspection?? fore warned is fore armed as the saying goes
Thanks

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:03 pm

Hi shearo,
From my original visit I remember the assessor wanted to see a number of certs and when we went to job he took the certs for the job & we retested to show methods, order of tests, ie dead then live ones.
He wanted to see paperwork trail of quotes, orders invoices with numbers to tie to certs.
All our docs such as cal. certs, complaints register, books such as regs. GN's,
How many tests possible on rcd (7)
Zs, Ze, ring tests,
it was sept, 2005 so guess now will include some 17th changes questions.
Due my next visit in Aug. so would like to hear how it goes,
good luck
SPARX

shearo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by shearo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:38 pm

Hi Sparx,
Is the assessor going to want to see the same from a sole trader?
I started up in business 3 months ago and, so far, have done little work apart from the odd socket install on my own. I have been doing more work for a friend in Derbyshire than in Lincoln and it's this rewire that I was going to offer as an inspection job. Problem being the customer has provided all materials so no invoices for parts..... I have designed the full rewire though. Bit about my background...I am an electronic engineer 32 years served with GEC(avionics) took voluntary, retrained for 17th regs and here I am...so qualified and understand what I'm doing just need a break really. I didn't realise they needed to see paperwork to such depth when speaking to the sales people at Napit they said work at home would be acceptable and just passed it off as no big deal??
Many Thanks for your help Sparx
Shearo

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:02 pm

Hi again Shearo,
Altho, we are a ltd co. I am in effect a sole trader as wife only other director.
If you are going for full scope membership remember you will be able to do the full range of works not just a bit of 'house-bashing' as it's known.
NAPIT will be saying on your behalf that you are safe to do commercial/ industrial work at all levels also 3rd party safety inspections & a full range of other work.
When I took the 'pay off' 14 years ago started on my own I had been working in NavWas avionics, instrumentation [pneumatic & electronic],
Atomic power, so when left had obsolete 14th ed. and had to start again at tech. to gain 16th. After about 8 years main client [MOD] insisted on membership of ECA or (the dark side) Nicy.
So had to go thro' heavy ECA assessment., When 'Part-P' became essential due to work from kitchen fitters/plumbers who didn't want to do 'defined scope' scheme themselves I went to NAPIT, who are much more aligned with smaller enterprises.
You should have received a pre-assessment pack which lists everything required, mainly that you are issuing correct certs for work done & like to see many 'minor works' for add on outlets.
Have Cal certs for your instument(s) available & a log say monthly of tests done on sockets at home, one on RCD & one not, to cover most test ranges of meters.
The assessors are very friendly, but be prepared for some gently probing 'small talk' when they find out any weak points in your knowledge, it won't usually prevent membership, but they can ask to revisit later if not fully satisfied.
With your back ground don't lose any sleep, and 'DESIGN' is the magic word, as ALL circuits must be designed under the regs. The standard 'Ring' & radials shown in the RED BOOK are pre-designed to save repetition of our efforts, it is quite in order to do any other circuit your installation requires as long as you can justify the design.
If you go into non-domestic work where the standard domestic ring is virtually unused then you MUST do design before starting.
I love it when your design r1-r2's, volt drops etc come out on test virtually as per your design, gives you a good feeling of confidance, or am I just OCD?
best of luck with joining a great set up with the best 'members only ' forum around, which is where I'm going now,
regards SPARX

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:44 pm