Need advice please,expanding foam and electric socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
richno1
Labourer
Labourer

Need advice please,expanding foam and electric socket

Post by richno1 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:46 pm

Hello me and a lad have been sound proofing part of my house,everything has gone fine,wall just about to be plastered,and just before i,m about to screw double electrical socket back on i see ,hes filled around the plug socket with foam ,but also inside the metal box,i knew this was not right.

it was everbuild fix and foam,very messy,so i waited for it to set ,with power off ,then scraped everything out i could and most of what i could get off the cables,but there is still little bits of foam ,on bits of the cables,and here and there

,i got most of any bits bits off and around,and made sure the cable were able to move and not fixed or held by any foam ,then i find 1 of the screw holes on the metal box have gone,so i fixed as tight as i could with 1 screw then untill plastered ,or other finishes ,

i have put bit of sealant around the socket for now ,also is there an easy fix for the side without a screw to make it that bit better,could i get away with using some kinda solid setting glue ,once i have a socket on i dont want to change,i will be replacing in near future with a nicer looking 1

,main concern is will this socket be safe with the tiny bits of foam here and there ,as i hear ,mixed things online,right from its a total risky fire hazard,to now if theres not much at all there ,it should be fine.

please advise. greatfull for any help

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Need advice please,expanding foam and electric socket

Post by proptech » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:12 pm

Hi richno1

Sorry to say, this sounds a right mess. There's no way a socket should be held with only one screw. If the box is damaged, it must be replaced.
If there is any doubt as to the safety of the installation for any reason, then get an electrician to test and check.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Need advice please,expanding foam and electric socket

Post by ericmark » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:09 am

My son used the aerosol foam to fix sockets without a problem. It's not the lose foam which is a problem but the main bulk. Early PVC cables could leach out plasticiser into expanding form causing the insulation to become brittle and also all cables need to cool so incapacitating in insulation means the cables have to be de-rated.

Lighting hardly ever a problem. Some times sockets are a problem. The main problem is shower supply.

Where stud walls are used the cable should be fixed to something able to remove the heat like the 2 x 2 wood but often it was allowed to float in the free air between the two bits of plaster board which is OK while it is free air but once one fills it with foam then there is a problem. Light switches take very little current so not really a problem but ring final is another matter.

With my house I was very careful cavity wall insulation was not used where there were cables in the cavity.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:40 am