Need Help Wiring Up A Electric Oven
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
peps1
Labourer
Labourer

Need Help Wiring Up A Electric Oven

by peps1 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:46 pm

Just got a New oven in the workshop for powder-coating, but this one is a little different to the last.

The previous Oven had a plug, but this one just has a 3 prong terminal to be hard wired......can I just use, say a 30amp twin and earth cable from the new one into a 13A plug as it only a 2.4kv?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Need Help Wiring Up A Electric Oven

by ericmark » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:52 am

I would not use twin and earth into a plug. And there is no such thing as 30A twin and earth. Cable designed to be installed permanently has a range of current ratings according to fitting method. So only flex which should always be visible and uncovered has a fixed current rating so 1.25mm sq flex is rated at 13A for single phase for example.

Any fixed appliance over 2kW should have a dedicated supply, however there is no reason not to use a plug and socket arrangement so it can be removed for maintenance.

So yes likely I would use flex and a plug and socket but do remember any fixed appliance does not have to have overload protection built in. The manufacturer can stipulate that it is protected with a particular size of MCB or fuse so do read instructions. Also you say oven and often these use mineral insulated elements which can have a problem with earth leakage so plugging into a RCD protected socket could cause the RCD to trip and without a RCD the earthing requirement may preclude the use of a 13A plug.

See:- 543.7.1.1 Equipment having a protective conductor current exceeding 3.5 mA but not exceeding 10 mA, shall be either permanently connected to the fixed wiring of the installation without the use of a plug and socket-outlet or connected by means of a plug and socket-outlet complying with BS EN 60309-2.

So again do read the instructions you may need a blue plug like used with caravans because of the much longer earth pin they have.

Likely there will be no problem with a 13A plug but without reading the instructions I can't give you an answer and I am sure you can read the hand book as well as I can.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:38 pm