Need help with crack stitching helibars
information and advice on general building topics, builders merchants, problem builders, DIY Stores etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bokkie
Labourer
Labourer

Need help with crack stitching helibars

by bokkie » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:31 pm

Hi all. so I have had a vertical crack appear between front door and landing window. the crack follows the mortar, stepped up, roughly 8 brick courses(60 cm) high.

Had it looked at and it is not structural, so we're all good there.
So I bought a crack stitching kit online to avoid the crack reappearing and have all the necessary tools, but have a couple of questions.

Firstly, it is suggested to space the bars at 45 cm intervals. As the crack is only 60 cm, between a window and door frame, should i just put 1 at the top and one at the bottom, leaving 60 cm between bars. Or should I space them at 30 cm intervals, so 1 at the top, 1 in the middle and 1 at the bottom?

Also, I have read somewhere that it is suggested to rake out to 50mm at the top and bottom of the crack and insert 2 helibars, 1 on top of the other in the raked out mortar. Obviously fixed with the polyester resin compund.
Is this recommended, or would 1 helibar in each be enough, raked to a depth of 35mm?

Thanks all, hope this makes sense

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Need help with crack stitching helibars

by stoneyboy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:23 pm

Hi bokkie
Suggest you divide crack into 1/4s and fit bars at 1/4 1/2 3/4 positions.
Best to rake out to 50mm below brick face and embed one bar in each recess. Don't forget to blow out all loose material before you inject resin.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:24 am