Need some advice on coverting garage into music studio.
Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mrroberto
Labourer
Labourer

Need some advice on coverting garage into music studio.

by Mrroberto » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:46 pm

Hi,

I'm starting work on converting my garage into a music studio/home office.

The garage is separate from the house and is made from interlocking concrete panels which are bolted together. The roof is made of corrugated iron and the floor has been titled. Structurally it seems very study and there are no obvious signs of leaks or water damage.

My plan is:

1. Fix studwork battens direct to the concrete panels using rawl plugs. The panels are roughly 80mm thick where I'm inserting the rawl plugs. The panels also have a natural concave structure so even if ply was attached flush, there would still be a gap.

2. Insert Rockwool in between the studwork. I'll have to fix an 'L' shaped bracket to make sure the Rockwool doesn't fall back and touch the concrete panel.

3. Attach plywood sheets to the studwork battens.

4. Attach plasterboard to the plywood - not sure how to do this yet!

What I'm not sure about is should I fix a moisture barrier/membrane behind the battens first, but if so what about ventilation?

Also, as I've said, I'm not sure how to fix the plasterboard to the plywood, or even if I need to? Am I best to forget about the ply and attach plasterboard direct to the studwork battens?

A few questions there! Hopefully someone can help..

Thanks.

AKOEps
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Need some advice on coverting garage into music studio.

by AKOEps » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:07 pm

Hi

Your on the right Track with What you Plan to Do

Install the timber studs and lay in the rockwool, try to keep This from touching the exterior concrete walls use battens or String, Then lay a vapour barrier over the insulation then install insulated plasterboards over the Top to finish screwed in with drywall screws

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:19 pm