Need some honest advice on brickwork please
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
boothuk
Labourer
Labourer

Need some honest advice on brickwork please

Post by boothuk » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:02 pm

Hello,

I realise this is going to be difficult to identify or advise on simply from a couple of pictures, but any help would be much appreciated.

We are first time buyers and have found a suitable house that has recently been reduced for sale. With that in mind, we now have an agreed price pending survey.

Unfortunately, we have been advised by someone that the brickwork above the front door is bowing, I have attached a picture below for you to see, I took these pictures prior to knowing about any potential problem so havn't got any more detailed images.

The rear has been repointed, again see the picture.

Looking at these, would they strike alarm bells? I realise that they may or may not come up on a general survey. We have agreement from the lender that they will perform a survey for free. Have also agreed with the mortgage provide to delay searches until the survey is complete.

The vendor said in 26 years they had no structural issues, the repointing was done 'because it needed doing', they also had the cavaties cleared and a bit of damp fixed under the front bay window.

The street has low risk of subsidence according to homecheck.

Thanks again for any input.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

first time buyer

Post by welsh brickie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:54 am

the surveyor who does your survey will only produce a basic survey and is not qualified to inform you of structural defects.
You could be buying a lemon,Get a structural engineer to provide a full report.I know its another cost But he will give you peace of mind and maybe save you thousands,plus if you sell you can produce the report to other vendors

andy01
Ganger
Ganger

Post by andy01 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:12 pm

i honestly cant see anything wrong in the photos.

if its bwing it may be rusted wall ties, quite a straight forward job to fix, use helical wall ties. but why have teh rusted? leaving roof? blocked gutters?

get a structural survey done. tell them what you are specifically concerned with. if they say there is a problem, get the vendor to fix, or drop the purchase price and have the work done yourself

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:07 pm