Need to joist my loft.
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
happyhacker
Tradesman
Tradesman

Need to joist my loft.

by happyhacker » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:08 am

I have a steep roof and the ceilings in the upper floor are only supported with framing in the loft (no actual ceiling joists up there). I need to get some joists up there to span some 6.5m, there may be a supporting wall but my question relates to getting the joists up there and to do this I need to get shorter ones (4m) than I need so I can get them up through the house.

If I join the joists together what overlap do I need and at what centres should I put the bolts?

Should I glue the joists for extra strength?

fmck
Apprentice
Apprentice

by fmck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:50 pm

I was a bit worried how to go about this with our new baby in the house. I didnt want joists etc going through the house. Making a temp hole in the roof is possible as its not difficult to put back as you still have the materials. I have velux windows to be fitted so decided to fit them first and have a go using these once the main window has been flipped over and taken out.

A bolted timber connection over a span sounds a bit iffy to be honest but I cant really help with that.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:04 pm