Need to move wire - sneaky tips?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andy.allen
Apprentice
Apprentice

Need to move wire - sneaky tips?

by andy.allen » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:17 pm

I need to move a wire from the ceiling literally two feet across. However the floorbaords upstairs aren't in a condition to be lifted (yet). I don't want to put a huge hole in the ceiling large enough for a hand to pull cable from ceiling, move two feet and pop down another hole.

Any sneaky tips to remove cable from existing hole and feed through another two feet away???

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:46 pm

Hi andy.allen,
You say floorboards not ready to be lifted YET!
You may get lucky with trying to fish it along with a couple of small holes in the ceiling, but if cable not long enough it will need extending or completely replacing, if cable is clipped or run in conduit/trunking you will have trouble and may be impossible and if joist not running in your favour again you'll have trouble! and there could be host of all other things that will prevent your re-routing.
sorry not much help, if there's any sneaky tips i'm all ears.
regards
KB

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:48 pm

Using any slightly flexible long item can assist from proper fiber glass rods to old bits of conduit trunking etc. But it still needs a hole even if smaller. I have even used a Cat who seemed to enjoy going down the hole where one board was removed and popping up at another hole not always the right one seems it caused a lot of laughs at the office when we put in a time sheet for him. I wonder if I could train my daughters rats? But putting loops of wire through a hole and trying to catch a bit of wire on the end of a bit of trunking is very time consuming and so unless there are special moulding on the ceiling not really worth while.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:33 pm