Need to seal internal Oak door?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Degsie
Labourer
Labourer

Need to seal internal Oak door?

Post by Degsie » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:55 am

Hi.
I've just bought oak doors to replace cheap door upstairs. The doors are unfinshed and, although convincing, are not solid (I think! - the label gives the 5mm trimmimng limit). I want a natural look - as close to unfinished as possible - and had intended on waxing the doors, but on unpacking have discovered the following instructions on the back of the label:
"This door is produced from kiln dried timber and must be completely sealed with a paint or a varnich prior to hanging. This door is not suitable for the use of waxes, polishes, or oils, as this does not seal the door"

I presume the reason for this is to prevent warping?
Can anyone tell me whether I should heed the advise on the label, and if I must, what I can use so that I still get a natural, non-glossy finish similar to that which waxing would give?

wacked
Labourer
Labourer

sealing in new oak doors.

Post by wacked » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:22 pm

i am a polisher and the best way to seal the doors would be to use a pre cat laquer finish. This is available in aerosol cans in different sheen. Matt up to gloss. Would advise to use a sealer first. Spray with grain. Use a mask and do it outside. hope this helps.

Degsie
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Degsie » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:21 pm

Thanks for the advice. A matt lacquer has still given the finish I was after.[/u]

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm