Neighbour building a covered way
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
garethp85
Labourer
Labourer

Neighbour building a covered way

by garethp85 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:01 pm

My detached house on one side is right on the boundary, about 135cm from the neighbours. The house next door i think wants to build a covered way down the side. As my wall forms the boundary along this edge, i am concerned that they might use my wall to build this structure too perhaps. Do you think there would be any need for this, and would they be allowed too. They have not yet mentioned anything to me, or had anything through from the planners. Sounds like they want to start it beginning of Nov. All from discussions heard over the fence.

For me this would take away from the fact it is detached, and noise transfer could then be possible through my living room wall.

DevilDamo
Tradesman
Tradesman

by DevilDamo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Right on the boundary... 135cm... that's 1350mm, so not exactly "right" on the boundary.

Anyway, your neighbour should have considered a Party Wall Notice or similar if they're building adjacent, on or over the boundary line.

I don't think planning permission would be required, but there's no reason why you can't contact your LPA to check?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1