Neighbour's built against my wall
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jackregan
Labourer
Labourer

Neighbour's built against my wall

Post by Jackregan » Tue May 17, 2011 8:09 am

My neighbour has built a waist high wall in his garden which attaches to my house wall. He has filled the middle with soil to create a planter.

The thing is about six or seven feet long and, because the house is 300 years old, I believe it is the cause of the dampness in that area inside my home.

Does he have the right to build this wall ?

What is the law in terms of him putting this damp soil against my home ?

And can I have him take the wall down ?

Or knock it down myself ?

Hope someone can help as I am annoyed.

ps. Our houses are arranged in an unusual L shape, his home on one length, mine on the othert, with his garden running the length of my property on a wall I cannot access from my home or garden.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Post by collectors » Wed May 18, 2011 3:52 pm

Under no circumstances would this be allowed. I would ask him verbally & politely to remove the wall & soil within 7 days as it could create a lot of problems for you with dampness.
If this is not done within the period, send him a registered letter with your grievances & reasons & hold him fully responsible for any damage to your property. Also inform him that you will take legal action & hold him fully responsible for all solicitors legal fees & court expenses if it go's this far .

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1