Neighbour will object
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
CookieMama
Labourer
Labourer

Neighbour will object

Post by CookieMama » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:50 pm

Please can anyone advise? I am looking to convert my loft into a bedroom with shower room, this would mean a dormer and planning permission/party wall agreement. Only problem I have is, a few years ago my neighbours built a garage and it came over the boundary. As they were pretty nasty about the whole thing I made them take down the overhanging structure and since then relations have been frosty to say the least. I know they will try ANYTHING to stop me from converting! What can they do? What can I do? And how much additional money will they cost me????? Any advise/tips gratefully received!

xavi99
Ganger
Ganger

Neighbour will object

Post by xavi99 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:10 am

Lots of schemes get lots of objections but still pp. See if you can speak to a planning officer at Council to see if there will be any other problems. Is it in a conservation area, are there any other loft conversions around, Can you put a dormer structure up, will it overlook someone.

There are lots of other factors and one objection should not cost you anymore.

There may be other objections anyway, people behind you, etc. Usually if an application gets lots of objections it gets decided by planning committee.

Good luck.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Post by collectors » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:31 am

One of the things that might be a problem is getting them to sign a party wall agreement. So it might be worth giving a short period of time to reply. Make sure you or the builder can gain access to their property to take pictures of all adjoining walls. You don't want them coming back & saying that crack wasn't there before you started.

myoung1874
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Neighbour will object

Post by myoung1874 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Neighbours, you have to love them. Our neighbour recently objected to some work that we are doing but the council approved it anyway. We have a clear window at the top of our stairs that looks straight into their en-suite but on the extension they complained that we would be able to look in. As long as you go through the channels there really isn't a great deal they can do. Good Luck.

2sheds
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Neighbour will object

Post by 2sheds » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:07 pm

The previous answers are correct. What is important to remember is that planning is not concerned with what neighbours think, it is about making sure any new developments comply with the general planning policy for your area. As long as your proposal does this, it is highly unlikely it will not get approved.
And on the party wall piece, the party wall act is there to ensure that due consideration is given to other people's property when you want to develop, but it also gives you the legal right to have access to a neighbour's land to carry out work, as long as you make good any damage. Doesn't matter if the neighbour agrees or not, if they don't sign the party wall agreement within a reasonable amount of time you can go ahead anyway so nasty neighbours cannot hold you to ransom! (But I don't know if this also means you can e.g. access their loft space).
Good luck with the conversion.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:46 pm