Neighbours putting up Car Port/Garage??
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
oboe07
Labourer
Labourer

Neighbours putting up Car Port/Garage??

by oboe07 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:41 pm

Hi I'm posting this Q on behalf of my parents....they live in a semi detached house which has an extension to the left of the house with a garage underneath, this is entirely on my dads property(and as far as I know/understand the outside wall isn't classed as a "party Wall!"

He has had new neighbours recently who have asked if they could put up a carport using my dads external wall to attach which my dad refused and said no you'll have to build your own wall like he had to! I think they want to use my dads existing wall so they won't lose any width to there drive! although my dad has!

Anyway he has now put down some pieces of steel into the ground and concreted them in and has put on a corrugated roof and now even though it was supposed to be a carport he has now put a garage door on the front!
The roof now butts up against my dads wall! and we are concerned about damp getting in as the rain just goes down the wall now!

Is this allowed in respect of planning permissions and building regs??

Any help/advice greatly appreciated!!

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:02 pm

Whether it is or it isn't its downright unneighbourly mind you they could argue that your Dad's flat No to their request wasn't exactly helpful either.

In order to prevent this escalating into World War III½ your parents need to sit down with the neighbour and discuss it politely in an a d u l t fashion.

The main issue you have seems to be that the roof is draining onto your wall. well they should fit a gutter to take the water away IMHO and if you deal with it sensibly and calmly they'll see the point - job done.

Running to the BCO will only inflame matters IMHO.

Sorry for being blunt!

Cheers

oboe07
Labourer
Labourer

by oboe07 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:08 pm

Well I suppose that flat No was due to the fact that the wall isn't on there property?? And my parents had to build there own wall so why should there neighbours be allowed to use it to save shelling out a few hundred quid and not lose 9inchs worth of drive way! building there own wall to support there garage roof with would have imho have been the best solution in the first instance, as it stands the way he has put up his structure he can't put any guttering down the side as he hasn't left a gap!

Appreciate the bluntness :O)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1