Neighbours "shed"
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cwhite02
Labourer
Labourer

Neighbours "shed"

by cwhite02 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:12 pm

Hi,

I've got some neighbours who have decided to build a building at the top of their garden made of breeze blocks in the last week. The building must be so far about 7 1/2 foot high, 12 foot long and about 6 foot wide.

I popped round to ask them about it but only their son was in and he said it was meant to be a shed (when they already have a shed in their garden). Looks more like a out house of some sort rather than a shed. They are from india and I normally get on pretty well with them, they do have a lot of friends over and I'm concerned they are maybe moving some of them in here!!

I've emailed in to the council and my girlfriend spoke to someone there and they have not had any planning permission for this. I'm just waiting on the council coming back to me and hope they will come out to view this. I've had no letters regarding building permission. I do want to speak to the neighbours again but have not been in at the same time as they have.

They have also done all the work themselves, including some very small foundations. I'm fairly confident they are not builders.

I've attached a picture which was taken last week, since then they have increased the height of the building.

Has anyone any ideas on if they are allowed to build this? From what I've been reading, it looks like they do need planning permission? It's also only about a foot away from my fence.

Any help/advice would be great as I'm not too sure where I stand with it all.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:28 pm

cwhite02,
It's very likely that they should have PP, suggest you get onto the Council again and ask what action they are taking. You may need to write before they will do anything - keep copies of all correspondence.
end

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:05 am

New laws came in october 2008 regarding permitted developments, might be worth you taking a look at govdirect website inter-active house.
12x6 foot! You can build up to 30sq metres and 2.5 metres high on your neighbours boundary without Building controls of PP needed as long as you stick to guidelines.
They might be being a bit clever, be following guidelines but assuring it will comply to current building regs so at a later date they can apply for change of use as a dwelling then PP will be needed
KB

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:45 am

This topic really worries me. What the neighbours build in their garden is entirely their own concern provided it does not adversely impact on you for whetever reason. Such might include "its an eyesore" but surely cannot possibly include "they might move another family into it at some stage in the future".

It strikes me as being particularly tiresome that not only have you gone running off to the council before you've actually discussed it with the people concerned (and your first visit clearly doesn't count) but that you are also being advised to do it as well.

Whatever happened to communication? For crying out loud talk to them properly, face to face otherwise you and they will have a festering issue between yourselves for as long as you live there.

Rant over. Sorry.

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1