Nest Thermostat Wiring Query and What to do With old Wires?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tunnel
Labourer
Labourer

Nest Thermostat Wiring Query and What to do With old Wires?

by Tunnel » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:00 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm just wanting to ask something about my Nest Thermostat installation.

I have installed my nest thermostat and both heating + hot water is all operating absolutely fine. What I'm wanting to query is that I've done things correctly with regards to the old wires.

My boiler is location in the kitchen, the programmer is located directly below the boiler, hot water tank and wiring center is in cupboard upstairs.

The heat link for the Nest has been wired next to the wiring centre upstairs. These leaves 2 redundant cables at either end of the wiring. These we're the CH and DHW cables which went from the programmer to their retrospective valves upstairs.

I have put the cables at the programmer end into separate terminal blocks and taped this up and labelled as to what they are. I have then put a blank faceplate where the programmer was and also labelled this as to what is behind.

I have done the same at the other end, into separate terminal blocks, taped and labelled. This has then been left in the wiring center junction box.

I know the best course of action would have been to strip the cables out but that would been very messy and possibly overkill for the situation.

Is what's been described ok or acceptable? Both ends terminated and taped, labelled and still accessible behind face plates?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Nest Thermostat Wiring Query and What to do With old Wires?

by ericmark » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:12 am

Standard procedure for all wiring is to earth unused cables, idea is any inductive or capacitive linking due to cables being close will not cause a voltage to be generated on the cable, However in real terms just a connector block so ends can't touch anything is good enough.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:20 am