DIY Doctor

Main navigation

neutral and earth connection

Postby fisha » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:13 pm

hi i was wondering can anyone tell me, if your meter does not hold a connection for connecting neutral to earth can you make then connection yourself using line taps and does the connection have to be outside the house any info would be grat thanks.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:46 pm


Simply Build It

Postby TheDoctor4 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:50 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 16777214
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Somerset in the UK in Shepton mallet

Postby ericmark » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:42 pm

No you can't. The earthing system for each transformer has to be the same for all users on that transformer so a supply authority has to make the decision as to what type of earth system you have.
If you neighbour has a TN-C-S system then you can likely have the same but you need to ask correct questions.
It is up to the supply authority as I say to decide what system you have and you can phone them as ask them to tell you what system you should have. If you tell them your neighbour has TN-C-S then normally their only option is to send someone out to check. And then it is likely they will give you a TN-C-S system.
But be aware with earth rods you only need 6mm earth cables but with TN-C-S you need 10mm cables and that is up to you to provide.

Postby sparx » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:56 pm

Hi fisha,
As Eric says the whole area must be declared PME/TN-C-S and can't be done adhoc.
In an area of PME the Neutral/Earth is joined at sub-station, and every 3rd pole along road, this can be easily verified be looking at the poles for earth bond from N cable down pole to earth plate.
Further, although phase cables may have line taps the N will be crimped as the risk of losing N would mean also losing E which is unacceptable.

regards SPARX
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.

Postby fisha » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:34 am

thanks alot guys. its an old TT system im dealing with, so im just gonna change the fuse board drive a new earth rod, then contact the supply authority
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:46 pm

Postby ericmark » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:01 pm

I do hope you have a RCD on all circuits and knowledge required to test earth rod.

Nothing wrong with TT system in fact there are many places where the TN-C-S system is not allowed.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics