Neutral becomes live!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Frostyjak
Labourer
Labourer

Neutral becomes live!

by Frostyjak » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:45 pm

I have a problem with my top landing light, it doesn't work! It is a typical setup double switch downstairs and the same upstairs. I have replaced the cieling rose and lamp connector, still no joy. I have checked the wiring at the rose, there is 1 red and earth in the same outer sleeve ( switched live) and 1 single black (neutral) and then the lamp cable. When the switch is on then the red cable is live and the black not, same at the lamp holder BUT when I put the bulb in the black cable becomes live too and the light doesn't work! All other lights in the house work fine including the downstairs hall light.

Any help would be appreciated.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:35 pm

Hi your neutral (black ) core is disconnected somewhere else probably the previous fitting on the circuit. This is why it reads live with lamp in place as there is no return path. Did you touch another light also? or can you trace neutral in loft, maybe to a joint box or next light and check connections there.
regards SPARX

Frostyjak
Labourer
Labourer

by Frostyjak » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:44 pm

Great stuff problem solved, checked downstairs lounge light and found 3 neutrals of which one had become loose, reconnected and hey presto landing light works.

Cheers Sparx. :o)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm